In compliance with the Decree of the President of the Italian
Council of Ministers concerning measures to contain the contagion
from COVID-19, the Castle of Miramare announces
THE TEMPORARY SUSPENSION OF ALL SERVICES.
The Park will open regularly.
In 1930, the Italian Government assigned the Castle of Miramare to Duke Amedeo of Savoy-Aosta. The architect Alberto Riccoboni, of the Royal Monuments and Fine Arts Office, took charge of renovating the castle in order to meet the modernising demands of the Duke.
The rooms of the castle lost part of their more pompous decorations, and were covered with functional furnishings that combine design with practicality: these pieces of furniture in the rationalist style can still seen in the left wing of the first floor.
There, you can visit the private apartments of the Duke, which previously also included the “mezzanine,” the upper floor with a reduced height.
The renovation of the castle at the time of the Duke was not only aesthetic: the Civil Engineering Services provided the building with two lifts, phone lines, a neon lighting system, running water and central heating.
The Duke inhabited the Castle from 1931 to 1937, when he became viceroy of Ethiopia, whereas his wife Anna of Orléans and their daughters Margherita and Maria Cristina continued to live there—on and off—until 1943.
During this period, visitors were granted access to the higher part of the Park, and also the castelletto, containing the pieces of Maximilian’s furniture removed by the Dukes from the castle.